Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Catch up and 40 days of clutter

Dang I am a terrible blogger. I really did mean to post more often, but life and stuff got in the way. In the past month, the following has happened:
*16 yo ds got expelled from school...again.For saying something inappropriate...again.Since he was expelled/suspended for the same reason last year,this time the school psychologists, social workers, and counselors got involved.That meant interviews, filling out questionnaires,and he's being tested for Asperger's Syndrome.It's been a huge pain in the patootie, but necessary.He's back in school now.
*I've also had meetings about my 14 yo dd(who has high functioning autism).The teachers and guidance counselors want to get her IQ tested again because she's such a smarty pants.They had tested her IQ in kindergarten, but seeing how her vocabulary was about 10-15 words at the time I don't know how they did it.They also think she should be in honors classes next year in 9th grade- that will be interesting.
*Everyone in this house has caught the "crud".It started with the 4 yo last week and then went to the teenagers, my husband, and finally me.My husband has been laying around for the past two days absolutely sure that we all have the flu (and he's dying from it).He gave me temperature updates at least three times yesterday ("Honey,my temp is 100.2").I took all three kids to the pediatrician to get them checked out and they all tested negative for the flu. When I came home and told my husband the test results he replied,"Oh so it's just me that has it then." SMH.At least when he gets an idea, he remains committed no matter how wrong. At that point,I took a big dose of medicine,told them they could fend for themselves for awhile, and went to bed.
*And then there's a bunch of other stuff like we got the transmission on my son's truck replaced,we bought a new dishwasher(VERY happy about that-it had been broken since before Thanksgiving),and we got a new dog from the shelter(I use the term "we" generously here.My husband and the kids went out and came back with a dog.Her name is Susie.)

I've been busy.
Ok, catch up over.

Now for the 40 days of clutter.
I get emails all the time from FLYLADY about decluttering and baby steps...I really love her ideas about making routines and getting rid of stuff you don't love anymore.Anyway,today is the first day of Lent and she has suggested giving up one bag/box of clutter to be given or thrown away per day for 40 days.I'm not Catholic, but I'm totally going to try this. Here's my first day's box(es).
This is two boxes of Franklin Mint decorative plates that belong to a friend of mine.I sold a bunch of stuff for her on consignment and this is what hasn't sold.She said she's over it and to donate them.Hooray!!They have been sitting in my Ebay area for close to a year taking up space. They probably would have sold eventually, but it is a drain sometimes to see stuff sit.Besides, she made about $1000 on the stuff I did sell and she'll get a tax deduction from these boxes (this was all from her stepdad's estate).They're in the car ready to go to the thrift store.
Woohoo!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. You have been busy. I like the idea of 40 days of clutter. I couldn't pick anything to give up for lent. Maybe I will try this instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm looking forward to a little less excitement around here.It might happen when the youngest moves out for college so it'll be awhile,lol.
    I plan on posting every day for the next 40 days on what I'm decluttering.That way it'll keep me accountable and get me into the habit of regularly blogging.

    ReplyDelete