Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Don't Be A Victim


At the beginning of karate class last night, my instructor asked me,"Did you see those guys coming towards you after we talked last week?"And then he went on to say that he had reached into his glovebox,grabbed his gun,and waited to see if they were going to grab me.
In fact, I did see them.They had walked through the parking lot and then circled back around as I was walking back to my car.Behavior like that is odd.As I walked to my car, I made sure that they saw me looking at them.Then I opened my door, grabbed my billy club,and most importantly, got in my car and left. The whole situation took 15-20 seconds tops. And then I didn't think about it again until my instructor said something to me about it.
I am by no means an expert, but I think it's important for people(especially women) to know these things to avoid being a victim.
1.Be situationally aware. The first thing an attacker will look for is someone who is not paying attention. Don't just blithely gab away on your phone, check email/Facebook, or listen to your iPod as you walk to your car.Look around-notice things that seem weird.
2.If someone is at a distance and starts to approach you,don't ignore them.LOOK at them..and not just any look.I like to give what my husband calls the death stare.Just noticing and staring will stop alot of attackers before they even start.I used to have a job where I had to visit several grocery/drug stores in sketchy parts of town.I can't tell you how many times guys have stopped in their tracks and went in another direction after I've stared them down.
3.If a would-be attacker continues in your direction, don't be afraid to get LOUD.Scream, yell, curse like a sailor-anything to make an attacker stop.In karate class, we yell a loud "KIAHH!!" as we attack. When you yell for any reason, it ramps up your adreneline and gets you ready for fight or flight.It also tightens your ab muscles,making it easier to take a hit to the gut.Your voice is your most powerful weapon- don't be afraid to use it.
4.If it's possible..leave.Get away.The best fight is the one you never have to have.
5.If you are attacked,FIGHT!!Bite,scratch,punch, kick.Go for the most vulnerable body parts-eyes, ears, nose, throat, kidneys,groin,knees,feet.If they've grabbed you in a certain way(like a choke hold),think about what appendages are free and use them.Don't let them take you to a second location.Punch until they let go and then get away.

I hope these tips help.Personally,I think that all girls/women should learn self-defense or some form of martial arts.You don't have to become the next UFC champion,but it will get you prepared if you are ever attacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment